- Two of the top free scholarship search engine sites are www.fastweb.com and www.scholarships.com. Scholarships listed on these sites serve the general population of students by helping them to find grants based on a wide variety of factors, such as personal interests, abilities, hobbies, activities, involvement in various organizations and military involvement.
Seniors applying to colleges are encouraged to visit www.meritaid.com to find merit-based scholarship opportunities. This website is a free resource that matches students with merit-scholarship opportunities from colleges across the country. Students with a 2.0 GPA or higher often qualify. There are merit aid scholarships for students based on their interests, intended majors, leadership and community service. Seniors in the top 10% of the class are eligible for 6 consecutive semesters of free tuition at SWIC through the Top 10% Tuition Scholarship Program. Applications are available online and in the Guidance Office. To download the application, visit www.swic.edu. Select "Prospective Students" in the Resources box, then select "Financial Aid and Scholarships". Click on the "Financial Aid Handbook" link, then "Scholarships" under "7. Types of Aid". For more information, contact the scholarship coordinator at 618-235-2700, ext. 5577. Deadline is the second week of the current year that the student requests the scholarship. Many agricultural scholarships are available through Illinois Agricultural Education at www.agriculturaleducation.org. Click on "Ag Careers" in the green bar, then "Scholarships". Eligibility requirements and deadlines vary.
New scholarships posted 8-21-15
- Seniors who can demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income) are encouraged to apply for the Horatio Alger Scholarship. Apply online at www.scholars.horatioalger.org. Deadline is October 25, 2015.
- Seniors intersted in becoming a teacher are encouraged to apply for the Golden Apple Scholars program. Scholars receive $2,500 each year for the first two years of college and $5,000 each year for their third and fourth year of college. With the addition of the four Summer Institute stipends of $2,000 per summer, the total financial assistance package if $23,000. Learn more and apply online at www.goldenapple.org/apply. Potential scholars can also be nominated by others before January 8, 2016.
New scholarships posted 8-27-15
- The Acorn Equality Fund provides academic scholarships for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender persons and their children in downstate counties of Illinois. Multiple scholarships will be granted, ranging from $1,000 to $5,000. Apply online at www.acornequalityfund.org. Deadline is September 25, 2015.
- Seniors planning to attend a college or vocational school after graduation are encouraged to apply for the AES Scholarship; details can be found at http:www.aesengineers.com/scholarships.htm. There is no application; just submit an essay of 500-1,000 words in answer to the following question: When you look back on your life in 30 years, what would it take for you to consider your life successful? What relationships or accomplishments will be important on this journey? Applications should include your full name, high school name, and plans for next year. Multiple $500 awards will be granted. Submit your essay to email@example.com before October 7, 2015.
New scholarships posted 8-31-15
- High school students in grades 11 or 12 currently serving in an elected or selected capacity in student government or a related organization who plans to take government courses in college are invited to apply for the 54th Annual United States Senate Youth Program. The first phase of the program brings two students from each state to Washington D.C., March 5-12, 2016, to be immersed in Washington activities. The second phase awards a Hearst Scholarship of $5,000 to selected students. For more information and application, visit http://www.isbe.net/spec-ed/html/hearst.htm. Deadline is October 7, 2015.
New scholarships posted 9-3-15
- FastWeb has great tools to help you achieve your college goals, all in one place and all free! Scholarship matches, college resources, financial aid tips, and international opportunities are available. Get started today at www.fastweb.com.
- Senior athletes with a 3.0 GPA minimum are encouraged to apply for the Wendy's High School Heisman award. This leadership award honors young men and women who excel in learning, performing, and leading in the classroom, on the field, and in the community. Apply online at www.wendysheisman.com. Deadline is October 2, 2015.
New scholarships posted 9-15-15
- Are you an ordinary kid doing extraordinary things? You could win $500 in the Celebrating High School Innovators Award; any student in grade 9-12 can apply. Learn more and apply online at www.innovative100.engineering.illinois.edu. Deadline is November 30, 2015.
New scholarships posted 9-18-15
- Seniors are encouraged to apply for the Mediacom Communications Scholarship. Fifty-five scholarships of $1,000 will be awarded in Mediacom service area. Applicants must not be a customer but must live in the service area. Apply online at www.mediacomworldclass.com. Deadline is February 15, 2016.
New scholarships posted 9-23-15
The National YoungArts Foundation invites talented art students in grades 10-12 to apply for the National YoungArts 2016 program. Qualifying participants will be eligible for cash rewards, recognition as a US Presidential Scholar in the Arts, the opportunity to appear in YoungArts Masterclass on HBO, and inclusion in the Student List Service, a directory of YoungArts applicants that is used for college recruitment. For more information and to apply, visit www.youngarts.org. Deadline is October 16, 2016.
Seniors are encouraged to apply for the Community Bankers Association of Illinois scholarship, valued from $500 to $1,000. Applications are available in the high school office and should be returned to the office by January 16, 2016.
New scholarships posted 9-29-15
Students in grades 9-12 are invited to participate in the 2016 Profile in Courage Essay Contest. The essay should demonstrate an understanding of political courage, as described by John F. Kennedy in Profiles in Courage. Awards range from $500 to $10,000. For complete guidelines, visit www.jfklibrary.org. Deadline is January 6, 2016.
New scholarships posted 10-5-15
Seniors planning to enroll in an agriculture-related field of study are encouraged to apply for the Randolph County Farm Bureau Foundation Scholarship; the applicant or parent must be a member of the Randolph County Farm Bureau. Scholarship amount ranges from $250 to $1,000. Criteria and instruction letter is available online at http://rcfb.org/rcfbfoundation/2016scholarships.html. Click on "Form for New Applicant". Deadline is January 29, 2016. Juniors and seniors are encouraged to apply for the Abbott & Fenner Scholarship Program. To apply for this scholarship, you will need to write an essay describing your educational and life goals. Explain your plan for achieving these goals. Include your degree/major, why you selected it, and how this degree/major will help you achieve your goals. The essay should be between 500 and 1000 words. Your submissions must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is June 10, 2016.
New scholarships posted 10-8-15
Seniors with a minimum 3.5 GPA and 23 ACT composite are encouraged to apply for the Hagen Scholarship. Each scholarship is worth up to $40,000 over four years. Applicants must work 240 hours in the 12 months prior to the start of college in the fall 2016. The application is available at www.hsfmo.org. Deadline is November 15, 2015. Seniors attending SWIC in the fall are encouraged to apply for the Harrisonville Telephone Company scholarship. One scholarship of $1,500 will be awarded to a RBHS graduate. Applicants must reside in the HTC service area and a parent/legal guardian must be a current and continuing land-line customer of HTC. Apply through the SWIC Foundation office at www.swic.edu/foundation. New scholarships posted 10-15-15 Seniors planning to major in computer science or computer/electrical engineering with a minimum ACT score of 25 are encouraged to apply for the Stokes Educational Scholarship Program with the National Security Agency (NSA). Recipients attend college full-time then work during the summer at NSA's main headquarters in Maryland for a minimum of 12 weeks in areas realted to your course of study. Students will acquire real-world experience and receive a salary year-round. Additionally, a position at NSA is automatic after college graduation. Learn more and apply online at www.nsa.gov/careers. Deadline is November 15, 2015. Seniors planning to attend Hickey College are encouraged to consider Hickey's ScholarshipDay on January 23, 2016. Hickey offers programs in business, technology, culinary arts, and veterinary technology. Learn more at www.hickeycollege.edu.
New scholarships posted 10-20-15
Seniors with a minimum GPA of 2.5 who exemplify the core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility are encouraged to apply for the YMCA Y-Scholars scholarship program, valued at $1,500. Apply online at www.gwrymca.org/program/y-scholars or pick up an application in the office. Deadline is November 5, 2015. Seniors considering a music program of study at Western Illinois University in Macomb, Illinois, are invited to audition for a music scholarship. Audition dates are December 5, 2015, January 16, February 6, and February 15, 2016. For more information, contact auditions coordinator, Trista Trone, at 309-298-1087 or visit www.wiu.edu/cofac/music/undergrad_audition_info.php. Nine scholarships of $2,000 each will be awarded through the Thomas H. Moore Illinois Electric Cooperatives (IEC) Memorial Scholarship. Seniors whose parents are Illinois electric cooperative members, employees, or directors are encouraged to apply online at www.mcec.org. Click on "Member Info" at the top, "Downloads" on the left side, "IEC Scholarship Information" at the bottom. Deadline is December 31, 2015. Sons and daughters of Illinois electric cooperative members, relatives of co-op employees or directors, and individuals who have served or are serving in the armed forces or National Guard are eligible for the lineworker's scholarship through Lincoln Land Community College in Springfield, Illinois. This scholarship is valued at $2,000. Apply online at www.mcec.org, "Member Info" at the top, "Downloads" on the left side, "Lineworkers Scholarship Application" at the bottom. Deadline is April 30, 2016.
New scholarships posted 10-28-15
Seniors are encouraged to apply for the Elks Most Valuable Student Scholarship Program. Renewable scholarships up to $12,500 will be awarded. For more information and to apply online, visit www.elks.org/enf/scholars. Call 773-755-4732 or email email@example.com. Deadline is December 4, 2015. Seniors who are the children or grandchildren of Elks in good standing are encouraged to apply for the Elks Legacy Award. Two hundred fifty scholarships will be awarded. For more information and to apply online, visit www.elks.org/enf/scholars. Call 773-755-4732 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is December 4, 2015. Seniors pursuing a fashion-related field of study are encouraged to apply for the "Aspiring Fashion Professional" scholarship, valued at $1,000. Learn more and apply online at www.fashion-schools.org, bottom left corner of the page. Deadline is June 1, 2016. Seniors pursuing an animation-related field of study are encouraged to apply for the "Aspiring Animation Professional" scholarship, valued at $1,000. Learn more and apply online at www.animationcareerreview.com, left side box. Deadline is June 1, 2016.
New scholarships posted 11-2-15
University of St. Thomas in Minnesota is holding its music and music scholarship auditions on February 27, 2016. To apply for an audition, visit www.stthomas.edu/auditions. Deadline is January 15, 2016. Seniors with financial need and a 2.0 GPA are encouraged to apply for the Independent Order of Odd Fellow and Rebekahs of Illinois scholarship program. Affiliation with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows is not required. Apply online at www.ioof-il.org, click on "Programs" and then "State Programs". Deadline is February 28, 2016. Seniors with a 2.0 GPA whose parents are land-line customers of Harrisonville Telephone Company are encouraged to apply for the Foundation for Rural Service Scholarship, valued at $2,500. Applications are available in the high school office and online at www.frs.org. Deadline is March 1, 2016.
New scholarships posted 11-6-15
Senior athletes are encouraged to apply for the Big Sun Scholarship, valued at $500. Apply online at www.bigsunathletics.com. Deadline is June 17, 2016. The Illinois AMVETS Service Foundation offers 25 scholarships to current seniors, each valued up to $1,000. Criteria and applications are available at www.ilamvets.org. Deadlines vary.
New scholarships posted 11-18-15
Seniors are encouraged to apply for the AXA Achievement Scholarship, valued up to $25,000. One winner will be selected from every state; only the first 10,000 applications will be accepted. Apply online at www.axa-achievement.com. Deadline is December 15, 2015. Senior FFA members are encouraged to apply for the FFA John Deere Dealers' Scholarship. Wm. Nobbe & Company has 5 scholarships to award. Apply online at www.ffa.org/scholarships. Deadline is February 1, 2016. Seniors are encouraged to apply for the AXA Scholarship, valued at $2,500. Up to 180 winners will be selected nationwide; only the first 10,000 applications will be accepted. Apply online at www.axa-achievement.com. Deadline is February 1, 2016. Seniors with a 3.0 GPA planning to pursue a degree in an education-related field (teacher, librarian, instructional media specialist, school nurse, school psychologist or social worker) are encouraged to apply for the Illinois PTA Scholarship, valued up to $3,000. Apply online at www.illinoispta.org/scholarshipapplication.html. Deadline is February 15, 2016.
Red Bud Industries offers a $5,000 scholarship to a local high school senior attending Ranken Technical college in the fall. Applicants must be enrolling full-time in one of the following programs: control systems technology, electrical systems design technology, electrical automation technology, industrial technology, or precision machining technology. Applications are available in the high school office. Deadline is April 1, 2015.