- Two of the top free scholarship search engine sites are www.fastweb.com and www.scholarships.com. Scholarships listed on these sites serve the general population of students by helping them to find grants based on a wide variety of factors, such as personal interests, abilities, hobbies, activities, involvement in various organizations and military involvement.
Seniors applying to colleges are encouraged to visit www.meritaid.com to find merit-based scholarship opportunities. This website is a free resource that matches students with merit-scholarship opportunities from colleges across the country. Students with a 2.0 GPA or higher often qualify. There are merit aid scholarships for students based on their interests, intended majors, leadership and community service. Seniors in the top 10% of the class are eligible for 6 consecutive semesters of free tuition at SWIC through the Top 10% Tuition Scholarship Program. Applications are available online and in the Guidance Office. To download the application, visit www.swic.edu. Select "Prospective Students" in the Resources box, then select "Financial Aid and Scholarships". Click on the "Financial Aid Handbook" link, then "Scholarships" under "7. Types of Aid". For more information, contact the scholarship coordinator at 618-235-2700, ext. 5577. Deadline is the second week of the current year that the student requests the scholarship. Many agricultural scholarships are available through Illinois Agricultural Education at www.agriculturaleducation.org. Click on "Ag Careers" in the green bar, then "Scholarships". Eligibility requirements and deadlines vary.
New scholarships posted 8-21-15
- Seniors who can demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income) are encouraged to apply for the Horatio Alger Scholarship. Apply online at www.scholars.horatioalger.org. Deadline is October 25, 2015.
- Seniors intersted in becoming a teacher are encouraged to apply for the Golden Apple Scholars program. Scholars receive $2,500 each year for the first two years of college and $5,000 each year for their third and fourth year of college. With the addition of the four Summer Institute stipends of $2,000 per summer, the total financial assistance package if $23,000. Learn more and apply online at www.goldenapple.org/apply. Potential scholars can also be nominated by others before January 8, 2016.
New scholarships posted 8-27-15
- The Acorn Equality Fund provides academic scholarships for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender persons and their children in downstate counties of Illinois. Multiple scholarships will be granted, ranging from $1,000 to $5,000. Apply online at www.acornequalityfund.org. Deadline is September 25, 2015.
- Seniors planning to attend a college or vocational school after graduation are encouraged to apply for the AES Scholarship; details can be found at http:www.aesengineers.com/scholarships.htm. There is no application; just submit an essay of 500-1,000 words in answer to the following question: When you look back on your life in 30 years, what would it take for you to consider your life successful? What relationships or accomplishments will be important on this journey? Applications should include your full name, high school name, and plans for next year. Multiple $500 awards will be granted. Submit your essay to email@example.com before October 7, 2015.
New scholarships posted 8-31-15
- High school students in grades 11 or 12 currently serving in an elected or selected capacity in student government or a related organization who plans to take government courses in college are invited to apply for the 54th Annual United States Senate Youth Program. The first phase of the program brings two students from each state to Washington D.C., March 5-12, 2016, to be immersed in Washington activities. The second phase awards a Hearst Scholarship of $5,000 to selected students. For more information and application, visit http://www.isbe.net/spec-ed/html/hearst.htm. Deadline is October 7, 2015.
New scholarships posted 9-3-15
- FastWeb has great tools to help you achieve your college goals, all in one place and all free! Scholarship matches, college resources, financial aid tips, and international opportunities are available. Get started today at www.fastweb.com.
- Senior athletes with a 3.0 GPA minimum are encouraged to apply for the Wendy's High School Heisman award. This leadership award honors young men and women who excel in learning, performing, and leading in the classroom, on the field, and in the community. Apply online at www.wendysheisman.com. Deadline is October 2, 2015.